Welcome to Thurnby and Bushby
The Parish of Thurnby and Bushby is immediately east of the City of Leicester and is administratively one Parish. Read more>>
Grange Lane effectively continues Main Street westwards and completes the settlement's linear spine before turning back northwards to the A47. The road is lined with dwellings of different ages and styles. On the south side there are some old cottages (some with original shutters), some fine Edwardian villas and The Lodge built about 1920 in Queen Anne style, now a residential home. On the north side is the listed wall of the Dower House and its rebuilt coach house, now a dwelling. There are also modern houses and bungalows, including a recent development at Bradgate Close.
This road has a mix of housing, the oldest of which is pre-war, some set back from the road and some which have larger than average plots.
Thurnby and Bushby is administratively one Parish.
Thurnby is the western part and Bushby the eastern part, with the boundary running more or less north-south. The Parish of Thurnby and Bushby is immediately east of the City of Leicester. It contains a broad ridge running east-west and sloping down in the west to the City.
The A47 main road runs centrally through it along this ridge. The older part of the village lies on the southern side of the top of the ridge. The housing is chiefly on or near the top of the ridge and is surrounded by farm or nursery land except at the north-west corner where the housing is continuous with a Leicester suburb.
The medieval open fields were enclosed by landowners in the early 17th century and by the 18th century the villages consisted chiefly of farms and some cottages. The farmhouses survive today as private houses. Then, in the 19th and early 20th century, half a dozen large houses were built of which the largest by far was Thurnby Court. Only one of these houses remains, The Lodge, now a Residential Home.
St Luke's Church
This beautiful Church built of ironstone, limestone and Mountsorrell Granite has a history stretching back to 1143. Inevitably, over the centuries there have been changes to the fabric of the building. The latest change to build an extension to the west side of the church Read more>>